Head First: What's Your Sleep Number?

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

What's Your Sleep Number?


I have a real topic on deck, but I got a mailing from my good friends at Select Comfort, and they're having a closeout sale on the Sleep Number 5000. "Hurry! Supplies are limited!" they tell me.

This is a big decision. I've been sleeping on my current mattress for over 16 years. And, while it's been one high quality piece of bedding (hmmm... I used to refer to myself that way), I'm thinking it's time to move forward. Several months ago, I called for the informative DVD, starring Lindsay Wagner (the Bionic Woman! haminahamina). Since then, my good friends at Select Comfort have called me at least five times each week to remind me that their store is conveniently located at my nearby mall, and that they'd be happy to set up an appointment for me to come and experience the luxury of the Sleep Number bed. I'm thinking that if I buy the mattress, they might stop calling me. Pricewise, it's about the same as a very good quality conventional mattress, so I'm leaning this way.

Psalm 12:15 says, "Fools think they need no advice, but the wise listen to others." I've heard our little circle of friends here referred to as "community," so I'm listening. What have you heard? Anybody have one of these beds? What about all the extras (THAT'S where they get ya!)? Can I get by without 'em?

9 comments:

BruceD said...

We've had a queen size select comfort bed for about 10 years now, and I will never sleep on anything else. Granted, I haven't tried any of the newer sleep system beds, but I don't think I'll find anything better. I'm a fan!

jeff said...

All I know is that, according to the radio commercials, Rush Limbaugh's sleep number is "60".

Of course, I'm not so sure that your sleep number isn't affected by the quantity and frequency of drugs you take...

Pauly said...

I have a suggestion:
Radisson Hotels is now offering Sleep Number Beds in their hotel rooms. Maybe before you plunk down $4000 for the basic bed, why not rent a room at the Raddison for a few nights and try one out? You'll have a better idea what you're in for.

dorsey said...

I went to the Select Comfort store in the mall last night and demo'd the model 5000 queen pillowtop, the same bed they use in the Radisson's. Wow. I really liked it. I wasn't expecting it to feel like a real bed. I guess I was expecting it to feel a little more flimsy, like an air-mattress.

They do get you with the extras, though. The closeout price on the mattress itself is $899, then they add a foundation for $350 (which bruced agrees I can build myself for about $40. Then a hundred dollar mattress pad and pillows at $120 apiece, and on and on. By the time the guy finished quoting me, the price was up to $1800!

I think I'm going to go for the mattress, without all the extras. That makes this mattress about $500 cheaper than the conventional mattress I was considering.

Maybe I need to ask you guys for help on our other pressing domestic question, "add-on or move?"

Peace

bob said...

I think you should stop cussin', put your opinions aside and submit to the authority of the pastor...

Jaded said...

Matthew 8:20 (NIV)--
Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

I sometimes wonder how Jesus was able to complete is ministry without knowing his sleep number.

Wow. It's amazing how far Christians have come.

dorsey said...

(I reserve the right to treat anonymous commenters with utter contempt)

Bob, I don't have to tell you what you can go do to yourself.

Jaded, you freakin' moron.

Of course Jesus knew his sleep number. He's God! Remember?? Helloooo?!?! And, while scripture doesn't reveal it, I'm guessing it was up around 100 (the firmest setting) since he slept on the ground most of the time. You stupid idiot.

bob said...

you're just busting on us anonymous guys to start some sh*t so you can have another post with 50 responses...

(totally obvious joke coming:)

my sleep number is 69

BruceD said...

bible thumpers... you gotta love them!