Head First: OK, So Bitching Isn't Futile!

Thursday, September 29, 2005

OK, So Bitching Isn't Futile!

I have a couple recessed lights above the kitchen counter. I've habitually purchased these DuraMax flood lamps from Philips, mostly because I happen to be in Home Depot when I think of it, and that's what they carry.

The thing is, they advertise that these bulbs last for a year and a half, but I find myself changing them every couple months. So, on Monday, I sent an email to the good people at Philips' Lighting Division, politely explaining my discontent. Three days later, Fedex shows up with a case of lightbulbs, compliments of Philips, and a letter addressed to "Ms. Dorsey Marshall" (they must've seen my profile), thanking me for bringing this deficiency to their attention.

I scratch my head a little. I mean, I'm happy to get $60+ worth of lightbulbs for nothing, and it's much easier to prepare my morning bowl of grits when I can see 'em. It's just that I was kind of enjoying being pissed off at the big faceless corporation. I mean, they didn't say they were working on making their lightbulbs better, just "here's some more." I feel not so much satisfied as neutralized. I'm not sure if that says more about them or about me.

10 comments:

Kc said...

All I know is you've never looked so lovely. It makes hugging you much easier now.

Steve said...

I don't care so much about any of your feelings in this matter, I am just crafting my email to the kind people of Phillips to express how dissatisfied I too am with their lighting products....

Ummm, wait...you know what, after a quick look at their website, you know what I am pissed off at is their shabby and inferior 50" Plasma Flat HDTV. Yeah, that's it...those things really suck...

I will let you know what happens...but in the meantime I will start making room for that FedEx delivery I am certain I will receive sometime next week!

Zeke said...

Steve, did I just hear you admit you have a 50" Plasma Flat HDTV, coming right on the heels of the admission you own a BMW?

How fleshy you've become...

;)

ninjanun said...

zeke, is that fleshy or fleshly? 'Cause there's a biiiig difference. Dorsey looks fleshy in his new profile picture, whereas Steve may be acting on his more fleshLY desires for trying to scam Phillips into giving him a free HDTV. :p

Oh, and Dorsey: I think you're right in assessing that Phillips is merely trying to neutralize your frustrations, rather than actually do anything to fix the problem. Happens all the time, not only with big faceless corporations, but also in churches, schools, relationships....

jeff said...

So Ms. Marshall, you're saying that crappy free stuff is more satisfying than costly things of quality? Hmmmmm

Wait a minute... they paid you off! That's what happened! They figured, we'll shut this guy up by giving him free junk.

If I were you, I'd email them back and request that they come pick up their dang lightbulbs... and mention the words 'false advertising', 'lawsuit' and 'kickback' in your email... After that, put some poorly-made grits in an envelope and send it to them. Let them know this is the true tragedy of their poor craftsmanship... you just might end up Steve's tv!
(But with a TV like that, you might want to make friends with the cable company again...)

Zeke said...

Nun, I stand corrected.

Steve, you are becoming flesh-LEEEEE...

Steve said...

Nope... just dreaming Zeke....

The actual TV in my living room just burned out (a 10 year old 26" Sharp). So we are now using the 15in Playstation monitor from my sons room for the family TV. We are so deprived.

I just want something for free....

:)

Zeke said...

Steve:

For the record, I am all for you getting a 50" Plasma TV. And maybe one of these days you'll give me a ride in that fly BMW of yours. We're practically neighbors anyway.

Z.

Chad said...

Hey, no matter what your political or philosophical stance, free stuff don't suck. (-:

Chad
mrpreacher.com

Kc said...

Guess I won’t try for that free vacuum cleaner then. (-;