Head First: The Answer

Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Answer

Ok, by now you've had some time to think it over (see previous post). Do you stand for the TRUTH, at the expense of this dear woman's feelings? Or do you sacrifice your soul to hell and BEAR FALSE WITNESS in order to spare her delicate emotions? Some of you seem to have assumed that anyone with such a hairstyle couldn't be all that intelligent, and therefore wouldn't notice if you dodged the question or changed the subject. Well, given such a direct question, I think an indirect answer communicates even more. Now, she can correctly infer that I neither like her hair, nor love her enough to be straight with her.

After several days of struggling, the correct response came to me like a flash of lightning:

"Your hair looks great!"

WHAAAT? (At this point, the fundamentalists in the crowd just swooned. Don't wake them up. Leave them be. They're not going to get this anyway.)

I think part of Christ's point in "summing up the law and the prophets" by proclaiming the Great Commandments (Love God, Love your neighbor) was to free us from such legal conundrums as this one, and to further assert the priority He gave to relationships.

The law of LOVE is the truth that surpasses my temporal and completely subjective opinions about style. The law of the new covenant says, "I love your hair, because you're wearing it. You're more important to me than anything else, including my need to be correct."

Fair enough? Then go love.

11 comments:

Zeke said...

You are correct, sir.

Kc said...

I smell justification... (GRIN)

dorsey said...

Nope, and it's not righteousness-over-relationship either. It's righteousness through relationship.

nathaniel adam king said...

nope you're wrong...

dorsey said...

Thanks for clearing that up.

jeff said...

You're more important to me than anything else, including my need to be correct.

Awwww crap! This is hard.

I mean, I need to be correct. No, I neeeeeeed to be correct! God made me this way. It's a part of my genetic makeup. For me to not act on my genetic makeup would not be authentic... right?

Of course, I'm right! I'm huuiedly right!!

BruceD said...

I think I would have answered her with a question (like I usually do)...

"Why are you so worried about how your hair looks"?

Nicole said...

being a girl...(saw you on sofyst's forum), i think you need a girl's opinion..not a bunch of guys. :)
tell her the truth. don't lie. i recently chopped my hair off even more and i have asked some men in my life what they think about it. thankfully they have told me the truth(i know this cause some have told me they don't like it) i don't ask someone if they like my hair to have them tell me it looks great if it really doesn't. I'm not asking if my hair looks good and then wanting them to say yes, because they love me. i want them to tell me if they just like the cut...that is all. lol :)

Paula said...

Ohhhhh, you are sooooo right about this one, soooo right!!!!! Amen, that's all I need to say and keep spreading the truth in love.

Your Sister In Christ,

ninjanun said...

I'm with Nicole on this one. If I ask someone what they think of my hair, I want the truth. Granted, if they don't like it, I want them to tell me as kindly as possible, but I don't want them to lie to me, either.

And when people ask me, I'll tell them the truth as kindly as possible. If I don't like their new haircut, I also make sure it's what THEY think of their hair that's important. If they're happy with it, then I'm happy with it. Unless it's the Pete. When it comes to the Pete's looks, my opinion should be more highly regarded than his, b/c I'm the one who has to look at him the most. :p

jeff said...

That's interesting, Ninja. I WAS going to tell you how much I like the way you wear your hair, but now... ummmm....

;)