Head First: A Rock And A Hard Place.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Rock And A Hard Place.


I was preparing to comment on Sofyst's forum, where someone raised a question about rules and law, when it occurred to me that I haven't posted here in almost 2 weeks. While I'm sure you enjoy seeing the face of my blue-eyed beauty every time you visit, I think I owe you a change of scenery. Besides, now that she's 13, I think I'm going to just kill her (Don't worry, though--all New Jersey Correctional Facilities have broadband access, so we'll still have each other).

Anyway, the discussion over there called to mind a question that was posed to me recently by my Yoda. I wrestled with it for a week straight before coming up with the undeniably correct answer:

A woman whom you know greets you at the refreshment table before Sunday School. You immediately notice, and then comment that she has changed her hairstyle.

"Do you like it?" she asks, with an expectant smile.

Well, the fact is, you don't really like it at all. You absolutely don't want to hurt her feelings, but you certainly don't want to lie, either. How do you respond?

9 comments:

nathaniel adam king said...

She asks, "do you like it?"

I answer as such,

"It reminds me of a cool breeze over a grassy meadow on a midsummer night. Not really, I cannot think of what it reminds me of. I would not want to say anything rude like, it reminds me of a poodle's haircut; that would be wrong. But I do not either want to say that it reminds me of some hot model's haircut, because I do not know many hot models. Of course, I mean, I have seen them. But they all have long straight hair, and yours is not straight. Speaking of straight. What do you think about the whole gay-marriage issue? I have my opinion, but I was wondering yours."

I am genius!

Kc said...

What force of the universe obligates our opinion, requested or not (you asked for it!)?

Grandpa had many words of wisdom;
"Never spit in a mans face (unless his mustache is on fire)" and "if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Zeke said...

I'd say, "It's a new look for you! Change is a good thing! Gotta shake things up every now and then, right?"

Herobill said...

I don't usually have opinions about hairstyles. So I say, "Sure."

"How is this a bad plan?" :)
-Iakabo, from Count of Monte Cristo

Ron said...

Dorsey,

It is good to hear from you again! I saw some of your postings on Kc's page, but I am glad you posted on your own.

First, let me say if I was not fond of the hairstyle, I would not have commented at all. However, given the scenario the way you posed it, I would simply reply "It is not my opinion that matters. The real question is do YOU like it?"

jeff said...

This is an easy one.

The proper answer is,

"Hmm? Whawastha..?? Um, excuse me.." begin to cough violently and run huuiedly to the nearest water fountain.

Or...

another acceptable response is,

"Sure! Anything to take the attention off that dress!"

I is genius too!!
(Ann Coulter's a skank! :)

Kc said...

huuiedly - adverb; any activity undertaken by a blogger.

To run huuiedly to the nearest water fountain is to run with brilliant foresight and in-depth research.

jeff said...

um, yeah. that's what i meant...

[/oops]

Paula said...

Okay, I can't help myself. I've gotta add you to my daily read list!!! Keep blogging for Jesus!