Head First: Christian

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Christian

by Maya Angelou

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin."
I'm whispering "I was lost,"
Now I'm found and forgiven.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need CHRIST to be my guide.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
and need HIS strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain,
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
who received God's good grace, somehow.

9 comments:

ninjanun said...

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I speak in iambic pentameter
and churn out schlocky rhymes


;)

Debbie said...

I love it!!!

Kris said...

I like that poem Dorsey.

I have one:

Tulips are red
Tulips are blue
John Calvin is dead.......
if only the tulips were too



HI ADAM! :)

nathaniel adam king said...

PAGAN!!!

JP said...

Very nicely done.

As my Pastor repeatedly said in this weekend's sermon: "I am a work in progress!"

Hope we can all take to heart the truth of what being a 'Christian' really means.

nathaniel adam king said...

Update already pagan!

Anonymous said...

Those who accept God's Grace didn't accept it "somehow" but by Faith in Christ alone. That was the only part I kind of cringed at. I do think though that we need to be humble about being a sinner saved by Grace through Faith but at the same time be proud (not in a sinful way) just like I'm proud of my natural family. Does that make sense? wow family/Family. Interesting analogy. :) dh

Anonymous said...

To kris I'm a Calviminian for both Aminian and Calvin are both wrong on parts and right on parts and one mustn't have one without the other but one mustn't have more of either one than one should. If that makes sense. (If you need a further explaination or clarification I'll be glad to give it if you like) :) dh

dorsey said...

I don't think you have to take this poem so literally, dh. In my mind, "somehow" doesn't deny faith, but acknowledges that even though my faith is sometimes weak, grace still flows.

And Kris was making a joke, btw.