Head First: A Chink in My Armor...

Monday, April 30, 2007

A Chink in My Armor...

I went to church yesterday.

Catherine, my older daughter, had been asked to perform a solo for a special service promoting the church's school, so I went to hear her sing. As it turns out, she had been given discretion to select the song, and she chose a tune made popular by Casting Crowns entitled "Does Anybody Hear Her?" I've listened to Casting Crowns, a little. They tend to be a bit didactic, sounding like a cross between MercyMe and every youth group sermon you've ever heard. So when Catherine chose this song, I didn't really think much of it. But, hearing the lyrics for the first time, I thought how interesting and ironic that she would sing this song before the congregation:


She is running
A hundred miles an hour in the wrong direction
She is trying
But the canyon's ever widening
In the depths of her cold heart
So she sets out on another misadventure just to find
She's another two years older
And she's three more steps behind

Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?
Or does anybody even know she's going down today
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me
Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?

She is yearning
For shelter and affection
That she never found at home
She is searching
For a hero to ride in
To ride in and save the day
And in walks her prince charming
And he knows just what to say
Momentary lapse of reason
And she gives herself away

Does anybody hear her? Can anybody see?
Or does anybody even know she's going down today
Under the shadow of our steeple
With all the lost and lonely people
Searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me

If judgment looms under every steeple
If lofty glances from lofty people
Can't see past her scarlet letter
And we never even met her

I sat in the very back of the auditorium and wept as she sang (she totally killed, btw). I didn't cry (as some might suppose) because my kid was tearing it up on the platform. My tears came because, at 14, she can already see that this is where the church is missing the point. Maybe I should feel hopeful that Christendom's young people are not blind to the distance between the church and the world around it. But if so, my hope is tempered by the fact that there's no one there who is able (willing?) to help them channel that awareness into something useful.

Don't look at me like that...

10 comments:

Jason said...

It's a great song. Yeah, if only leaders were built with backbones.

Mark, their lead, was a youth ministry veteran of a ton of years before Casting Crowns met success. Makes sense...

Zeke said...

Wish I was there, bro. The missus too.

Kc said...

Same here, Zeke.

Dorse I know how it fills a daddy's heart. ;-)

"Don't look at me like that..."

I know you'll do what's best, whatever that is. That look is confidence.

A Credible Source said...

You met me at Jake's wedding (one of his roommates at the time)...

But yes, I definately agree with your comment on the "worship" post. It is definately so much more than the music. I just have trouble understanding why churches do the music portion the way they do.

Thanks for the comment!

sandytrif said...

praying that she does see that this is what is happening and that she did not choose the song cause she liked it. Interesting to find out why she chose it.

wish I could have been there~as of yet~it is too hard to go back.
Sandy

Missy said...

Ahh, your own child is your Achille's heel? It's good to know that she comes before your aversion. Good call, bro! And what a wise girl to make that song choice :)

SocietyVs said...

I think there is hope for the future (as seen in you daughter's song) and I think this is about our choice to love people. I appreciate the sincerity in the blog you wrote - maybe love is the answer.

Recovering said...

Great post. Thanks for reminding me that there is truth even in the cheesiest of Christian bands... Seriously, though, I was encouraged to read the lyrics of that song as it is our institutional failure to reach past our own walls that frustrates and saddens me the most...

Just Your Average Jo said...

I am the girl in the lyrics.

Ausbury said...

Yipes! Chill bumps man, chill bumps.