Head First: Too pooped to pop.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Too pooped to pop.

This might be the longest I've ever gone without a post. It's not that I have nothing to say. I just haven't had the time to say it. I didn't attend Easter services like some of those other sellouts. I stayed home and finished baking bread for the holiday meal with my wife's family. It turned out to be a nice day. Time may not heal all wounds, but it does have its effect.

It's good to take time to do the things you love. I love baking bread, especially a real rustic Tuscan-style boulle, with a thick, toothy crust and chewy middle. It's a very creative and often spiritual experience, observing and participating in the transformation of four basic ingredients (flour, water, salt, yeast) into a life-sustaining thing of beauty. What would otherwise be a useless ball of glue is breathed to life by a quarter teaspoon of yeast. With time, the gluten develops an elastic, cohesive bond, the grain ferments, the flavor develops. Then, the pungent, ripened mix is punched down and shaped. It springs back from its beating, higher than before, its final perfection attained in blazing heat. There are a hundred metaphors for life and spirituality in bread-baking. At one time or another, I've considered just about all of them. Easter seemed a fitting opportunity to meditate on resurrection, as the thing that was dead now not only lives, but sustains life, as well.

I do believe. Help my unbelief.

6 comments:

Zeke said...

I think I'm personally in the elastic gluten phase of my life.

Kc said...

I’m tripping on the thought of all those bread analogies. Maybe Dorseism is founded on Bread Theology.

“Carry on my wayward son. There’ll be peace when you are done.”

Love ya dearly Bro.

sandytrif said...

guess I'm a sell out cause I went to church~not out of obligation cause it was easter~in fact church did not even preach on the cross and the tomb~but rather looking forward to our resurrection w/the Lord~did Hebrews 10-12.

I on the other hand hate to cook, bake whatever~so Dorsey~if you have any of that great bread left~ya know where I live.

Sandy

dorsey said...

I'll make you a fresh one this week.

One of the problems in taking the bread metaphor too seriously is that the bread is ultimately devoured, or becomes toast and then gets devoured. Mmm...still trying to figure that one out. heh.

Caro said...

As the grain must cease to have its own existence, but be taken up into the new life of the consumer, maybe we need to think of oourselves as expendible so that others may live. Jesus became "toast" for us, didn't he?

Recovering said...

ummm...I think the analogy just ends at the completed loaf of bread...

...after that we just eat it because it's damn good and it served its purpose as a pretty groovy analogy.