Head First: Man knows not his time...

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Man knows not his time...

Jerry Falwell died today. When Erik told me the news, the first thought that came to my mind was David's lament upon hearing of the death of Saul: "How the mighty have fallen! The weapons of war have perished!" (2 Sam. 1)

I'm disappointed at some of the responses I've read on the blogs concerning his passing. I wonder if some bloggers can see the irony in the smug satisfaction they display over the demise of their "enemy."

"I have seen something else under the sun:
The race is not to the swift
or the battle to the strong,
nor does food come to the wise
or wealth to the brilliant
or favor to the learned;
but time and chance happen to them all." (Eccl. 9:11)


I disagreed with Jerry Falwell on many points. He was never, ever a person with whom I aligned myself. But I think my brother said it best earlier today (I'm paraphrasing):

If God has enough grace for an alcoholic, or a homosexual, or a sinner, I think He has enough grace for an evangelical, too.

7 comments:

Kc said...

Good Blog! Well said Jeff.

Missy said...

I admit to having a moment of confusing reactions upon hearing the news, but it stuck with me that he was still a brother. Made an effort to stay away from the ugliness. I like what you wrote here.

bjk said...

well said.....

SocietyVs said...

Quit quoting your brother. LOL.

I find it terrible that people want to sling stones at someone because they are 'dead' - it's horrible - and no one in this world would like their recently deceased loved one to be treated as such. Yet we live in a nation of foolishness - where even the intellectual acts like an ass in times like these.

Was Falwell judgemental? Very. But the enlightened will be able to forgive (not forget) and move past the idea of retribution. I'll almost bet Mel White with SoulForce (who was booted by Falwell for being gay)is not jumping for joy - maybe there migth be a lesson to learn there.

seƱor jefe said...

The actual quote was:

"If God gives grace to bloggers, then I'm becoming an athiest..."

No wait! That was another conversation...

Still, you've got to give it to Falwell. He took on (pissed off) everyone... From Larry Flynt to Jim Bakker to everyone who ever committed a sin in America just after 9/11.

Bottom line: He was a man of great conviction. Agree or disagree, I pray my resolve will be as strong as his once I figure out what I actually believe...

sandytrif said...

I had mixed emotions when I heard of his death. After all our second daughter is going to Liberty University this fall to finish out her degree. I applaud his dedication to the school and for making it into a fine university. I think he stood for what he believed was right~if that made some one mad~then so be it. I also hope that I can stand for my convictions as he had.
Sandy

Ha Kohen said...

Short and Sweet: Good post!