Head First: These are the days...

Friday, June 29, 2007

These are the days...

As a parent, I've never wanted my kids to think they deserve a parade for, say, pooping in the toilet, where they're supposed to. I love whipping out that passage from Luke 17:

"Does the servant get special thanks for doing what's expected of him? It's the same with you. When you've done everything expected of you, be matter-of-fact and say, 'The work is done. What we were told to do, we did.'"
In fact, the idea of a kindergarten graduation sends me into a fire-spitting fit. So, naturally, when number one daughter was finishing up 8th grade, I resisted making a bigger deal out of it than I thought was necessary (Of course, that was the cue for everyone else in my family to pull out all the stops.).

Nevertheless, as I thought about my little girl (now taller than her mother), leaving friends she's been with since Pre-K, I found myself drawn into the emotion of the event. All I talk about is the importance of relationship, and here she is, faced with being pulled from the people she thinks of as brothers and sisters to go to a huge high school where she knows almost no one. Although I know it's part of life and of growing up, my heart aches for her a little. For about a week after she finished, she cried herself to sleep almost every night. I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for MySpace and Verizon's unlimited text plans.

During the graduation ceremony, the students had prepared some remarks about their time together. Catherine and her friend, Alyssa stood and talked about how much they fight with one another (I can attest to this). Yet, no matter how bitter the battle, the love they have for one another always compels them to find a way back to peace (usually through Rebecca, the peacemaker of the group). It was a lesson for most of the adults in the room. How do we go about losing that kind of deep commitment to each other? Did we ever have it? I don't remember, but I want it back. Thanks, Ambassador Christian Academy 8th graders, for the reminder of how Jesus intends us to be. Good stuff.

So anyway, while I do not want to make a bigger deal out of this than it is, I want to say congratulations to my little girl, the now-9th grader. I love you, sweetheart.

Please pay your cell phone bill.




This is the video I put together for the graduation ceremony. It might come across as a little cheesy if you don't know the kids, but I tried to capture the bond that they share. Its really remarkable to observe.

8 comments:

sandytrif said...

was waiting for this~High school~just wait.
Sandy

SocietyVs said...

Congrats to your daughter - I hope she enjoys the new experience of grade 9 - oddly enough I have a niece going into high school this upcoming year also.

Recovering said...

Congratulations to you too, Dorsey, I think they should have a separate ceremony to recognize the effort of the parents...

I had to endure a preschool graduation this year. I wasn't going to go but my wife gave me that "fine-stay-home-and-see-what-happens" look. Anything to celebrate mediocrity...

mommyjana said...

Very nice Dorsey. You're raising a real sweetheart (actually two).

The Cubicle Reverend said...

That is so cool. I agree, I don't like the whole kindergarten graduation. There are so many graduations that it takes away the whole meaning of it. And it's nice to meet another NJ blogger. I don't live that far from you at all. I live in Barrington, we'll have to meet up for a pint.

Kc said...

Congratulations on reaching this milestone Catherine. Stand firm on the foundation developed over these days and stay close to Dad in the future, even when he seems like a dork. He can really help you with everything that’s coming your way and soon you’ll have another one of these milestones to look back on.

Congratulations Dad. That’s a great video and a beautiful young woman. May God continue to bless you both.

Ha Kohen said...

Behind the comedy hides a human being with emotions and everything!

Congrats to your daughter from all of your creepy web-friends.

ninjanun said...

What a beautiful daughter you have! Looks like she inherited your stunning good looks. :)