Head First: When I go...

Monday, September 10, 2007

When I go...

To the previous post (about Pavarotti), Caro commented:

"As for all of this world's glories, triumphs, trials and tragedies, 'This too shall pass.' When our voices are silenced, will anyone remember who we were? Will our spirit of love remain in the hearts of those we've touched? GOD, help us live worthy of death!"

As I read Caro's very apt thought, I was reminded of my friend, Ed Onorato. Ed was a fabulous, professional musician and a loyal friend, with whom I had the privilege to play many times. He died of leukemia about this time last year. More than his talent, he would do anything for anyone. His generosity of spirit seemed boundless. At his (standing room only, 500+) memorial service, person after person stood and offered stories of the joy and compassion Ed brought to their lives.

Several weeks ago, I was at my favorite Italian restaurant with my family. There was a guy there, set up with his keyboard and percussion machine, singing all your favorite Italian love songs. As he sang, I sat there and wept into my '03 Sangiovese. All I could think of was Ed, and how terribly I still miss him. After we finished our meal, I approached the fellow to put a few bucks in his jar. He was between songs, so I asked him, "Did you know my friend, Ed?" Tears immediately filled his eyes as he told me how much he missed playing with Ed, too. I was getting choked up again, so I didn't stick around to chat (I didn't even get the guy's name).

I've reflected on that moment a number of times with a number of friends, and have always come back to the same question. Can you imagine being a person who has such influence with people that, a year after you're gone, strangers will cry with one another at the mention of your name? I echo Caro's cry, God, help us live such lives.

9 comments:

Mrs Zeke said...

You are Dorsey

God adores you

Zeke said...

I know that MZ and me would not spare tears if you checked out, Dorse. The world is so much more interesting and enlightening with you in it.

Kc said...

What beautiful tribute and devotion my brother.

I won't even allow myself to consider you going home just yet.

Jason said...

Can't believe it's been a year...

Molly's Boss said...

Prov 12:28 In the way of righteousness [is] life; and [in] the pathway [thereof there is] no death.

Matthew Henry helps to clarify this… “There is not only life at the end, but there is life in the way; all true comfort and satisfaction. The favour of God, which is better than life; the Spirit, who is life.”

Praise God that we can qualify under His son righteousness and enjoy not only our future but also this present day. Sounds like your friend may not have been perfect but gave of himself to love Gods people and left a memory of love to where he valued all those he knew. I may not have these same qualifications that your friend and Caro pointed out. However thanks for the reminder and the challenge.

Rock in the Grass said...

Perhaps the best remembering of someone is to take the good things we have appreciated in them and put them into practice in our own lives.
You have had a good friend - and clearly are a good friend to others.
PG

sandytrif said...

NO I personally can not imagine having that kind of impact on people-outside of my family(of people remembering me after I am gone). I can just pray that I live each day to the fullest showing the Love of the Lord to those I come in contact with.

I think that you on the other hand will generate the same kind of feelings that ED has.

Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Dorsey,
How blessed I was to have had such a wonderful husband. The lives he touched with his love, care and concern were endless. He truly was an amazing man. I miss him beyond belief, and my heart may never heal completely but I do know that with God, there are no mistakes. Although I don't understand, I do know that one day I will be together once again with
Ed. Thank you for sharing your rememberance of him on your blog. I so appreciate you stopping by and sharing funny Ed stories! See ya in church.....
Love,
Judy

leastofthem said...

I knew Ed only slighly from quite a few years ago and he left a sweet and dear impression. My biggest grief in reviewing my life is that it does not come anywhere close to expressions of love and generousity like Ed or a few others I have known have given. This is the essence of a real Christian life. I don't imagine I regret it near as much now as I will on the other side.